Monday, June 27, 2011

My role at Maua Hospital

Roger: MY ROLE AT MAUA HOSPITAL

So far Donna has done most of the writing for the blog, but I wanted a chance to include my personal perspective on our work here at Maua hospital.  Before we came, I spent a great deal of time trying to figure out how I could best contribute to the program here.  I have spent most of my practice and teaching career focusing on areas of pediatrics that had little to do with this acute care tropical setting.  Then a preliminary report came out from the World Health Organization and the UN concerning maternal and child mortality in developing countries.  The report showed that over the past 7 years the death rate in mothers and in children age 1 to 5 had been cut in half, but the death rate in newborns and small infants had remained the same.  This finding has stimulated a worldwide effort focused on the newborn.  


The many articles I read and the encouragement of a former partner Dr Lloyd Jensen, helped me to decide to concentrate on saving the newborn.  I went to workshops to update my very rusty skills, and planned presentations and workshops.  Most of the newborn deaths here in Kenya, and in all parts of the world, are due to 3 causes, birth asphyxia, infections, and prematurity.  Birth asphyxia means that before, during or after birth, the baby’s brain is deprived of oxygen, causing either death or severe brain damage in survivors.  I have concentrated on giving lectures and hands on workshops to medical staff, interns, nurses, and nursing students on helping babies breathe.  The teaching aids and medical supplies we brought have been a great help, as well as has the Neopuff, a special machine that is used in newborn resuscitation. I will be giving this machine to the hospital when I leave, so I hope I have taught them how to use it well. I have also worked in the pediatric ward and the nursery, attending rounds and doing one on one teaching.  


Maua has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life, challenging and difficult at times, and one that I could not have done without the help of Donna, the prayers of all of you back home, and many times a fervent prayer for help and guidance.

No comments:

Post a Comment